Ask A Cartographer

coastal engineering symbology

March 18 2010 | 0 comments
Categories: Symbology

I would like to know if there is a coastal engineering's symbols package that I can use to represent Brazilian coastal engineering, likes groins, seawalls, harbors, renourishment, land fill, dredging, ...


Mapping Center Answer:

I checked with our symbols expert on this. For these exact symbols, we don't have them in our styles, nor do we have a good source to refer you to offhand. You'd have to find a good source for the symbols or produce them on your own.

We did post a blog with some water-related symbols - I didn't see the ones you listed here but you could perhaps use some of the existing symbols for your feature types or modify them to suit.

The other sources we found were the Ordnance Survey Great Britian's Explorer (1:25,000) or Landranger (1:50,000) map series symbols and the USGS topographic quad (1:24,000) water related symbols (see the links on this web page: But again, not all of your symbols are in them. You coudl also check the symbols for other national mapping agencies.

If you would like to post a comment, please login.

Contact Us | Legal | Privacy |