Ask A Cartographer

Symbology file for housing types

April 19 2010 | 0 comments
Categories: Symbology

I was wondering if there are more symbology options available for houses, other than the ones that are included in the character marker symbol file "ESRI District 4". I need to add some larger, bi-level type symbols and I don't have 3D Analyst loaded. Thanks!

Mapping Center Answer:

Certainly there are more symbology options in the ESRI suite of programs. More than just what you are seeing by using a very limited character marker style originally meant for a now retired Television Show (CBS aired it from 2000-2004). We're not sure what software you are working with and what you're trying to do.  Please define that for us so that we can give you some better options.

Unless you are constructing a 3D building environment, you aren't required to have 3D Analyst loaded to work with symbols. You can use any of the glyphs from existing ESRI fonts to make new marker symbols, or you can reference the Civic marker set in ArcView to see what sort of buildings may be there.

If you are working in ArcGIS version 9.2 or later, you have a lot more control over the levels or layers of symbol appearance. There is were you get to use the tools of Cartographic Representations to your advantage.

If you would like to post a comment, please login.

Contact Us | Legal | Privacy |