Ask A Cartographer

Are there any

May 10 2010 | 0 comments
Categories: Symbology

Are there any "standard" symbologies used for Enclave areas (i.e. unincorporated areas surrounded by incorporated areas of city)?

Mapping Center Answer:

We have not been able to determine or authoritatively provide a standard for the symbology of an area symbol for an 'enclave'. What we did find is that such areas have been treated in urban mapping in various methods such as white fill with a text label of 'U', or as a prezone or proposed annexation areas; which use line or regular dot patterns in contrast to adjacent areas. Most of them have a specific boundary line color for the perimeter of the area. 

If you would like to post a comment, please login.

Contact Us | Legal | Privacy |