Rake scale with multiple map units?
September 17 2010 |
I feel like I am missing something obvious. A common question I get is how to get a rake scale with both miles and kilometers as in the attached figure, item 2. In the past I have made them in Adobe Illustrator at specific scales but surely there is a better way in ArcMap now (I am still using vers. 9.3.1).
Mapping Center Answer:
There isn't a default option to create the scale bar you want, but there is a workaround:
- In Layout View, go to Insert on the top bar menu and choose Scale Bar.
- In the Scale Bar Selector, first insert Scale Line 1. Then, insert another scale bar except this time, choose Scale Line 3.
- Align the two scale bars so that the top line of Scale Line 3 is aligned with the bottom line of Scale Line 1.
- Then right click on Scale Line 1 and go to its Properties. On the Scale and Units tab, under Units, change the Division Units to Miles.
- Next, right click on Scale Line 3 and go to its Properties and change the Division Units to Kilometers.
Now you should have a scale bar that is similar to the one in your attached diagram.
As a side note, this has been logged as a software enhancement request and if you want to bump it up in the priorities, you can go to the ArcGIS Ideas page and vote for this request.
If you would like to post a comment, please login.