Gradation Outline Label
I'd like to know if you know a technique to produce gradation on label's outlines? It means the color could start with white and melt to the background color (a bit like the new Dialog Title Boxes in Vista). Is that possible?
Mapping Center Answer:
Yes, you can achieve this effect by setting the text halo properties. This involves moving through a few dialogs, so I'll briefly outline the steps.
1) Once you've labeled the features, open the Symbol Selector for the text, click the text Properties button.
2) On the text Editor, choose the Mask tab, select the Halo radio button, and click the Symbol button.
3) On the Symbol Selector (this is the second one you've opened), click the Properties button.
4) On the Symbol Property Editor, change the Properties Type drop down to Gradient Fill Symbol
5) Change the Gradient Fill Style to Buffered.
6) In the Color Ramp Style window, select one of the ramps. If you need to create a new one, right-click inside the color ramp window and select Properties. This will open the Edit Color Ramp window.
7) As you click OK to start backing out of the many dialogs you've opened, you'll probably want to remove the outline on the mask polygon - set the outline color to "No Color"
This technique works but it is fairly draw-intensive, so if you've got a lot of labels on your map it will take a few noticeable seconds to draw.
If you would like to post a comment, please login.