Ask A Cartographer

What method should I use to show the density of accident points?

August 31 2007 | 0 comments
Categories: ArcGIS Methods

I have a point coverage of road accidents. I want to show the density of these accidents, i.e
to show that in which part of the city more accidents are occuring? which method should I use?

Mapping Center Answer:

There are a couple of ways to look at this problem. One is to interpolate a raster surface from your accident points; there is a useful help topic that describes the interpolation methods available in the Spatial Analyst extension. Whichever tool you choose will produce density raster surface.

Another method would be to use the spatial statistics tools, and look to understand clustering or distribution of accidents; a bit more care is needed in deciding how you present the results of these tools in order to avoid miscommunication of the meaning of the results.

You’ll have to decide, given how the information you’re supplying is to be used which method will be best.

If you would like to post a comment, please login.

Contact Us | Legal | Privacy |