Ask A Cartographer

Style set for ridgesb

November 03 2008 | 0 comments
Categories: Cartographic Design

Is there a standard set of symbols for bridges that can be brought into ArcMap and rotated to the proper angle? I am looking for a symbol set that would include a variety of bridges such as suspension bridge, covered bridge, draw bridge, etc.


Mapping Center Answer:

I don't know of any symbols, so much as effects.  Much of what our mapping traditions dictate are to knockout features around bridges to give the impression of elevation above the terrain, water, or landcover that is beneath the bridge.  In many cases for special bridges, there are also names, so just naming the bridge on the map gives the appropriate information--i.e., most suspension bridges fit this category.

Here is a link to the USGS's guidance on map symbols--just search for bridge.

Here is another link that describes some of the different bridge types and how they get symbolized, but unfortunately no pictures (how helpful is that?)




If you would like to post a comment, please login.

Contact Us | Legal | Privacy |