Ask A Cartographer

Shade edges of polygons -- 'old map' style

March 03 2009 | 0 comments

I KNOW this one has been answered, but can't find it! I want to shade polygons with a fading border, like you see, for instance, on political boundaries in old maps. The trick was to convert it to a raster, and then .... hmmmm, the details are fuzzy after that!
I saw the answer somewhere, but can't seem to come up with the right search terms....

Mapping Center Answer:

The effect you are looking for is what are called "tint bands" and the answer about how to make them is in a blog entry called "How to produce tint bands for boundaries".

If you would like to post a comment, please login.

Contact Us | Legal | Privacy |