Ask A Cartographer

Mottled Fill Symbol

March 29 2009 | 0 comments
Categories: Symbology

I am searching for a polygon fill symbol that is Mottled and Random for a large area, to make it appear like a forest or vegetated area. v 9.2 ArcMap

Mapping Center Answer:

Have you checked out the fill symbols in the Forestry style?  There is one called Woodlands and another called Scattered Trees 2.  In the Historical Style that you can download from Mapping Center's ArcGIS Resources page, there is a stipple pattern that is a bit more abstract.  The Historical Style also contains a set of parchment fills that would give you a more uneven appearance for the fill color. Hopefully some combination of these symbols, or others in the ESRI styles that come with your software, will give you the effect you are looking for.

If you would like to post a comment, please login.

Contact Us | Legal | Privacy |