Labelling with a circle behind text
Is it possible to create a text label with a coloured shape and border (i.e. white circle with black border) by automatic processes. I have building footprints with building numbers (approx. 100), and need to use attribute field to label by.
Mapping Center Answer:
You would use the same steps as labeling with a highway shield. If you have the ESRI default style referenced, these are the steps:
- In the Layer Properties for the label (under the Layer tab of the layer's Properties or in the label class using Label Manager), click Symbol, and in the Symbol Selector, scroll down and select the State Route HWY symbol.
- Change the font size, color or other properties, if necessary. Change the size of the symbol to accommodate your labels.
- Click OK to get out and to see the results.
This method creates labels that are placed in circles of the same size. If you need to scale the circles to fit labels of different lengths, or if you do not have the ESRI default styles referenced, these are the steps:
- In the Layer Properties for the label, click Symbol, and in the Symbol Selector click Properties, then click the Advanced Text tab, then click the option to have a Text Background and click to see its Properties, then click Symbol and then Properties.
- Change the Type to a Character Marker Symbol and change the font to ESRI Shields.
- Select the circle with the black outline.
- Copy and past the circle as a new layer in the symbol. Change the bottom symbol layer to a filled circle of the same size. Change the color to white.
- Click OK twice to get back to the Editor. Check the option to Scale the marker to fit the text.
- Click OK to get all the way back to the Symbol Manager. Here set the symbol size, and the font properties, and set the label Field to be your label field.
If you would like to post a comment, please login.